Strictly Weddings is captivated by the magic of a magnificent sunset wedding. Something mysterious and spiritual happens when we take in the fleeting glimpse of a setting sun and the sky’s kaleidoscopes of color as wedding vows are exchanged. It’s inspiration for the soul and, more specifically, soul mates! Imagine exchanging your wedding vows in paradise, perfectly timed as the sun slowly sinks below the horizon.
Strictly Weddings has scoured the globe and selected our “TOP 10″ exquisitely romantic sunset settings that will fulfill your wedding wishes and make for a magical, unforgettable celebration.
1. Santorini, Greece – Santorini is the renowned, fairytale island of white-washed buildings cascading down 900-foot cliffs toward the glistening Aegean below. It also happens to host one of the world’s most beautiful sunsets stretching as far as the eye can see over bright blue waters, a caldera, and even an active volcanic island. Claim a private terrace in the charming towns of Oia or Fira and take in the serene panoramic views.
2. Bora Bora, Tahiti, French Polynesia – The magic of refracting light is exceptionally breathtaking on your own private island. At Sofitel’s Bora Bora Island, the private island and its 21 over-the-pristine-water bungalows are available for exclusive bookings. Imagine saying “I do” standing barefooted in white-powdered, palm-fringed sands surrounded by 360-degree, postcard-perfect views.
3. Playa Virador, Papagayo Peninsula, Costa Rica – “The consummate destination for eco-adventurers and beach bums,” Costa Rica is an exotic haven for all. This is especially true of the spectacular Papagayo Peninsula, which is home to the fabulous Four Season’s Resort Costa Rica and its two secluded beaches. Whether planning a private beach wedding for 2 or 250, Playa Virador (one of these two beaches) is perfection. This remote, palm tree, golden sand setting offers breathtaking sunset views of the Pacific Ocean with a tropical rainforest backdrop.
4. Hamilton Island, Australia – Those seeking the extraordinary and exotic will delight in beautiful Hamilton Island. Neighboring the Great Barrier Reef and lying in the Whitsundays, a group of 74 continental islands lying off central Queensland’s tropical coast, this island is surrounded by warm, turquoise waters which sparkle in the glow of the setting sun.
5. Princeville, Kaua’i, Hawaii -Treat yourself to the sensory experience of Hawaii’s setting sun at the St. Regis Princeville. “Perched above Hanalei Bay, with sweeping panoramas of the emerald-green No Molokama Mountains,” Hawaii’s newest luxury resort can accommodate a sunset wedding on pristine Hanalei Beach or on one of their two terraces with mountain and ocean views. A true tropical oasis!
6. Dubrovnik, Croatia – Known as the “pearl of the Adriatic Coast” and “the city made of stone and light,” Dubrovnik, Croatia in eastern Europe hosts a spectacular sunset. Whether on the craggy Dalmatian coastline or amid the ancient walls and pedestrian-only streets of Old Town, you’ll fall in love with the ever-changing views with the last rays of sunlight.
7. Atacama Desert, Chile -Chile has been described as “a playground for lovers of the great outdoors, a country blessed with limitless deserts, ancient volcanoes, emerald lakes and the magnificent Andes as backdrop wherever you travel.” With its other-worldly landscape and rugged beauty, the remote Atacama Desert in Northern Chile offers stunning views of the sinking sun over magnificent million-year-old mountain ranges. Consider arranging a wedding at one-of-a-kind luxury hotels such as the Awasi, San Pedro de Atacama or the Tierra Atacama Hotel & Spa, which offer an exceptional oasis as remarkable as the natural surroundings.
8. Yosemite Valley, Yosemite National Park, California -Yosemite National Park is an inspiring place like no other. A spellbinding and spiritual experience is guaranteed when taking in the last rays of light ricocheting off 3,000-foot cliffs, including Half Dome and El Capitan. With its abounding natural beauty of meadows, trees, towering waterfalls, and soaring mountains, Yosemite Valley makes for a stunning backdrop, made all the more special when kissed with sun-setting light.
9. Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve, Clanwilliam, South Africa -Perhaps you’re dreaming of a wedding on the wild side? Journey to the top-rated, five-star luxury retreat of Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve in Clanwilliam, South Africa. This venue sits amid an expansive South African Natural Heritage Site, a sanctuary for many endangered species. Bushmans Kloof offers several options for holding your event on the premises of either the lodge or reserve, and a bevy of unique activities to entertain pre- and post-wedding. Sunsets here are especially exhilarating as they bathe the sprawling, untamed wilderness and 500 million-year-old Cederburg Mountains in golden hues.
10. Castello Di Casole,Tuscany, Italy -Tuscan sunset paradise can be found at the Castello Di Casole. The hotel, built on the ruins of a 10th-century castle and encompassing a 4,200-acre wine estate, offers couples one of the best views of magnificent Tuscany and an incredible sunset to boot.